I received this link today and wanted to pass it along. Again, do your homework on such things.
After 9/11, the fear of another attack on U.S. soil cleanly supplanted the fear of having one`s penis chopped off by a vengeful lover in the pantheon of irrational American fears.
While we’re constantly being told that another attack is imminent and that radical Islamic fundamentalists are two steps away from establishing a caliphate in Branson, Missouri, just how close are they? How do the odds of dying in a terrorist attack stack up against the odds of dying in other unfortunate situations?
The following ratios were compiled using data from 2004 National Safety Council Estimates, a report based on data from The National Center for Health Statistics and the U.S. Census Bureau. In addition, 2003 mortality data from the Center for Disease Control was used.
- You are 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack
- You are 12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack
- You are 11,000 times more likely to die in an airplane accident than from a terrorist plot involving an airplane
- You are 1,048 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack
- You are 404 times more likely to die in a fall than from a terrorist attack
- You are 87 times more likely to drown than die in a terrorist attack
- You are 13 times more likely to die in a railway accident than from a terrorist attack
- You are 12 times more likely to die from accidental suffocation in bed than from a terrorist attack
- You are 9 times more likely to choke to death on your own vomit than die in a terrorist attack
- You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist―great.
- You are 8 times more likely to die from accidental electrocution than from a terrorist attack
- You are 6 times more likely to die from hot weather than from a terrorist attack
I really hope this is not true.
Aside from the fact that there has never been a single arrest by our ridiculous Transportation Safety Administration, or a single thwarted terrorist plot aided by their illegitimate searches, our irrational fears of terrorism is allowing power-hungry forces to erode our true safety, collective dignity and common sense.
America―in any guise: capitalist, socialist, communist―does not deserve to inherit the future if it continues to behave like superstitious savages afraid of a single tongue of flame.
It is so difficult to reverse this level of incompetence only because it has risen not immediately, but steadily over the decades, aided by idiots, the blind, dreamers, and the foremen and wardens of air castles.